Get a FREE Copy of VOM’s Global Prayer GuideRequest Yours Now
Vietnam has a repressive Communist government, which actively persecutes Christians. While Christianity is legal, the government still sees it as a threat. Minority tribal groups, such as the Hmong, typically face the most violent and harsh forms of persecution. Churches continue to grow despite persecution.
Most Vietnamese practice ancestor worship, which is often blended with Buddhism.
Local authorities persecute Christians in rural areas, and Christian converts are also persecuted by family members.
What It Means To Follow Christ In Vietnam:
New Christians are often evicted from their homes and villages, especially in tribal areas where local authorities exercise broad discretion. Officially recognized churches are expected to report their activities and teachings to the government. All churches face government opposition when they evangelize outside church walls or attempt to conduct community events. Non-recognized churches, which cannot be officially registered, are in violation of the law. Within rural and tribal areas, existing believers can often meet openly, but new believers are targeted for harsh persecution. Christians are often denied social services, utilities and schooling in an attempt to pressure them to reject Christianity.
Access To Bibles:
It is legal to own a Bible, but distribution is difficult in rural areas, especially in large quantities. Give Bibles
VOM provides training for pastors and believers. We also distribute Bibles to tribal Christians and provide tools for front-line workers. Give to VOM’s Global Ministry
- Pray that unbelieving relatives will not be coerced by officials to persecute Christian family members.
- Pray that believers will not be deceived by false teaching.
- Pray that Christmas Care Packs will reach families who most need encouragement in their faith.
- Pray that front-line workers will identify and help persecuted believers.
- Pray that new Bibles for children and youth will be read by non-Christians.
- Pray for the wisdom and safety of front-line workers who deliver Bibles to remote villages.