Get a FREE Copy of VOM’s Global Prayer GuideRequest Yours Now
The island nation of Sri Lanka, off the eastern coast of India, is still rebuilding from a civil war that ended in 2009. The government has put significant efforts into resettling those displaced during the conflict between the majority-Buddhist Sinhalese population and the Hindu Tamil separatists. There are strong churches in the country as well as parachurch organizations that provide Bible training, theological education and mission training. Churches in Sri Lanka are actively sending missionaries to other countries in South Asia.
Sri Lanka remains a nation divided. Hinduism is prevalent in the north, while Buddhism dominates the south.
Buddhist monks are the primary persecutors, stirring up communities against the Christians who live among them. Hindus also oppose evangelism and conversion to Christianity.
What It Means To Follow Christ In Sri Lanka:
Christians can openly gather and worship in Sri Lanka. Recently, however, the government stated that churches must be officially registered. When Buddhists in local governments feel threatened, they sometimes attack a pastor or his home. Strong Christian leadership programs as well as missions-sending agencies exist throughout Sri Lanka.
Access To Bibles:
There is a Bible Society in Sri Lanka, and Bibles are readily available. Give Bibles
VOM supports training for missionaries, pastors and church planters. Give to VOM’s Global Ministry
- Pray for the encouragement of pastors working in majority Hindu and Buddhist areas.
- Pray for the training of more pastors.
- Pray that Sri Lankan churches will increase their evangelistic efforts.
- Pray for unity among local churches.
- Pray that more churches will be planted in hostile Hindu and Buddhist areas.
- Pray for an increase in Bible distributions in the country.
- Pray for Sri Lankan missionaries in other parts of the world.