Get a FREE Copy of VOM’s Global Prayer GuideRequest Yours Now
Southern Mexico, where VOM works, has a high concentration of indigenous minority groups that maintain a separate identity and speak indigenous languages. It is common for evangelists, pastors and missionaries to travel several hours or days in order to reach the different minority communities. Even with persecution, the number of Christians has steadily increased.
Most people in southern Mexico practice a syncretistic blend of ancient pagan practices and Catholicism.
Both syncretistic pagan/Catholics and armed Marxist (atheistic Communist) rebels routinely persecute Christians.
What It Means To Follow Christ In Southern Mexico:
Christian converts are rejected by their community and often are forced from their homes and villages. They lose jobs, inheritance and land. Those who remain in their community are marginalized, partly because they don’t participate in pseudo-religious celebrations sanctioned by priests that feature drunkenness, debauchery and pagan religious rites. Many areas in southern Mexico are only 3 percent evangelical Christian.
Access To Bibles:
There is little access to Bibles in small, isolated communities. Bibles in indigenous languages can also be difficult to find. Give Bibles
VOM distributes high-quality Bibles in Spanish and indigenous languages and provides help to those displaced from their communities. Give to VOM’s Global Ministry
- Pray that children’s ministries will continue in hostile areas.
- Pray that churches will remain strong and faithful in regions of ongoing civil unrest.
- Pray for Spanish Bible distributions in previously inaccessible communities.
- Pray for outreach events in areas controlled by the Zapatistas (Marxist guerrillas).
- Pray for the successful distribution of Bibles in minority languages.
- Pray for Christians who are expelled from their communities after accepting Christ.