Get a FREE Copy of VOM’s Global Prayer GuideRequest Yours Now
Mauritania is among the world’s poorest countries and also has a significant corruption problem. Located in the Maghreb region on Africa’s western coast, it is an Islamist country with three distinct people groups: Fulani, White Moor and Black Moor. Slavery still exists within tribal groups, with black Christians commonly subservient to Arabs. There are churches in Mauritania, but they are relatively new and need leadership development and training. In 2009, an American missionary was martyred in Mauritania, and many mission agencies subsequently pulled their workers from the country. Some Christian workers, however, are starting to return. Mauritania has been staunchly Islamic for more than 1,000 years, and the training needs among indigenous leaders as well as security risks for both native Christians and foreign missionaries remain obstacles to reaching Muslims with the gospel.
Mauritania is nearly 100 percent Sunni Muslim.
Families, tribes, communities and the government persecute those who leave Islam in Mauritania.
What It Means To Follow Christ In Mauritania:
Fewer than 150 believers are known to live in the country, and only foreigners can worship openly. All indigenous Christians converted from Islam, which is illegal. Jobs are difficult to obtain in the poor economy, especially for Christians. Believers have been arrested in the past.
Access To Bibles:
It is extremely difficult for Christians to get Bibles, which must be hand-carried into the country at great risk. No Bibles are printed in the country, and the importation of Bibles is restricted. Give Bibles
VOM supplies audio Bibles, provides training for Christians and supports the underground church. Give to VOM’s Global Ministry
- Pray that Christians will openly express their faith even though leaving Islam is punishable by death.
- Pray that new believers will grow in faith even though they lack fellowship.
- Pray for the protection of new believers, as leaving Islam is illegal.
- Pray that Christian converts from Islam will stand firm amid persecution.
- Pray that those imprisoned for their faith will be bold witnesses.
- Pray for the spread of the gospel in this country where there are few believers.