Get a FREE Copy of VOM’s Global Prayer GuideRequest Yours Now
Mali is a poor but growing country that remains overwhelmingly Muslim. Although missionaries arrived in the early 1920s and have worked in most areas of the country, there are few evangelical Christians. Small congregations of believers continue to worship in towns known to be centers of Islamist activity. Several missionaries have been kidnapped in Mali or have been kidnapped and brought to Mali from neighboring countries since 2016. Most are still in captivity today. In 2017, threats by Islamist groups led some mission agencies to pull teams from the country.
88 percent of Malians are Sunni Muslims, with most also practicing animism. 3 percent are Christians, including less than 1 percent evangelicals.
Islamic extremist groups persecute Christians in Mali.
What It Means To Follow Christ In Mali:
During Mali’s 2012 civil war, believers fled to the south as extremist groups in the north sought to create an Islamic state. Churches and pastors’ homes were destroyed. Christian converts from Islam face harassment from family members and their communities. Open and active churches exist in the north, but some believers are still leaving for the south as the Islamist threat worsens. One pastor was forced to leave after receiving several death threats; his wife is still dealing with related trauma. Evangelists have been imprisoned for short periods after being accused of proselytizing.
Access To Bibles:
Bibles are scarce and difficult to obtain outside the capital, especially in minority languages. Give Bibles
VOM provides Bibles, pastor training and relocation for persecuted Christians. Give to VOM’s Global Ministry
- Pray for the continued spread of the gospel despite increasing Islamist threats.
- Pray for unity among believers and a spiritual awakening that reflects the love of Christ.
- Pray for churches in Mali as they face new challenges from Islamist ideology and attacks.
- Pray for peace, especially for a resolution to the conflict between the Dogon and Fulani people.
- Pray that Christians in Mali will be spiritually prepared for persecution.