Get a FREE Copy of VOM’s Global Prayer GuideRequest Yours Now
In the Muslim-majority southern island region of Mindanao, where VOM works, Muslim groups and the government have engaged in a longstanding conflict over the Muslims’ desire to form an independent Muslim state. Recently the Muslim groups, such as Abu Sayyaf and Maute, have pledged allegiance to the self-proclaimed Islamic State (ISIS) to gain financial help and foreign fighters. Muslim extremists routinely threaten Christians, often driving them out of Muslim majority areas, and many pastors and believers have been killed. However, a significant number of believers remain in these areas and share their faith.
The Philippines is predominantly Roman Catholic. Many Muslims, Christians and animists live on Mindanao and surrounding islands, with Protestant churches scattered throughout the region.
In the Mindanao region, Christians are targeted by both Sunni Muslim and communist rebels.
What It Means To Follow Christ In Philippines (Mindanao):
In the Mindanao region, attacks on Christians are sporadic and unpredictable, creating an environment of constant tension for Christians. When conflicts break out, government forces respond. In some areas, the government has ceded control to Islamists, and Christians’ rights are not protected in those areas. Churches are legal, and many Bible schools throughout the Mindanao region produce graduates who return to share the gospel in their local community.
Access To Bibles:
Bibles are available in cities, but they are expensive. Give Bibles
VOM responds to attacks on Christians and provides tools and training for front-line workers. Give to VOM’s Global Ministry
- Pray that evangelists traveling outside their villages will go unnoticed by Islamic extremists.
- Pray that believers will boldly communicate the truth of the gospel to their Muslim neighbors.
- Pray that schools and training will be available to those called into ministry.
- Pray that believers will show God’s love to Muslims rather than viewing them as enemies.
- Pray for the protection and wisdom of front-line workers traveling through mountains and jungles.
- Pray that evangelists will have the right tools to reach and encourage believers in remote villages.
- Pray that we will identify and encourage persecuted believers who are suffering alone.