Get a FREE Copy of VOM’s Global Prayer GuideRequest Yours Now
Kenya is predominantly Christian, but several tribal groups in the north remain largely unreached, and much of the coastal region is predominantly Muslim. Additionally, in the region known as Greater Somalia in northeastern Kenya, 90 percent of the population is ethnically Somali and fervently Muslim. In these areas, Christian missionaries from other parts of Kenya and converts from Islam are often attacked and have been killed. The Kenyan constitution grants every citizen freedom of religion, but local governments in resistant areas are led by Muslim officials who do little to protect the rights of believers.
78 percent of Kenyans are Christians, including 48 percent evangelicals. However, parts of the country have a Muslim majority with significant Islamist activity and influence.
Islamic extremists are most active in the north and east, and their activities extend to Nairobi in the south. In the coastal areas, community members and local governments also persecute Christians.
What It Means To Follow Christ In Kenya:
Christians cannot openly discuss their faith in areas with a Somali majority or areas near the northern border without risk of losing their family, livelihood and standing in their community. There is a significant threat of violence against Christian converts in Somali-majority areas. In eastern Kenya, the al-Shabab Islamist terrorist group attacks Christians, bombing churches and killing believers. In Muslim-majority areas along the coast, Christians are rejected by families and communities.
Access To Bibles:
Bibles are available, but they are hard to find in the difficult areas and in some dialects. Give Bibles
VOM supports the widows of Christian men killed in attacks. Our Bible distribution efforts focus on providing Bibles to children and those who speak minority dialects. Give to VOM’s Global Ministry
- Pray that the government will protect the rights of believers in Muslim majority areas.
- Pray for those affected by Islamist attacks.
- Pray for the protection of Christian minorities along the coast.
- Pray that churches in central Kenya will encourage and support ministry work in Muslim majority regions.
- Pray for Christian converts from Islam who face ongoing threats and persecution from family members.
- Pray for the wisdom and strength of government leaders standing against Islamic extremism.
- Pray for the continued boldness of churches in northeastern Kenya as they face Islamist attacks.
- Pray for those sharing the gospel with Somalis living in Kenya.