Get a FREE Copy of VOM’s Global Prayer GuideRequest Yours Now
Many Christians in Colombia are taking great risks to share the gospel in some of the most dangerous places for Christians on earth. Working in these hostile areas often results in persecution from armed guerrillas and paramilitary forces. After voters rejected a 2016 peace agreement with the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC), a Marxist rebel group, the government approved an agreement with the insurgents without public approval in 2017. Since the agreement, various paramilitary groups in rural areas of the north and west have grown more active and violent.
94 percent of Colombians are Christians, the vast majority of whom are Roman Catholic, while 11 percent are evangelical Christians.
Marxist (atheistic Communist) guerrillas and paramilitary groups violently persecute Christians.
What It Means To Follow Christ In Colombia:
Pastors in Colombia’s “red zones” (areas controlled by militant groups rather than the government) have not benefited significantly from the government’s 2017 peace treaty with the Marxist guerrillas. While the guerrillas no longer officially affiliate with the FARC, they continue to oppress Christians and remain involved in the drug trade. Christians are targeted because their obedience to God’s Word prevents them from supporting or joining the violent factions (guerrillas or paramilitary groups) funded through narcotics trafficking and other criminal activities. Worship, evangelism and travel are dangerous in these areas, as the guerrillas seek to control all aspects of villagers’ lives.
Access To Bibles:
Bibles are available in the cities, but remote and difficult terrain, poor security and lack of transportation make it dangerous and difficult for Christians in red zones to obtain Bibles. Give Bibles
VOM provides ministry tools to front-line workers and responds to violent persecution in the red zones. Give to VOM’s Global Ministry
- Pray for those sharing the gospel with unreached people groups in guerrilla-controlled territory.
- Pray that Christian leaders will face the enemy with wisdom and courage.
- Pray that Bible distributors will reach the Christians most in need of God's Word.
- Pray for the protection of Christians from guerrilla groups and from drug and arms traffickers.
- Pray for families that have been affected by violence.
- Pray that God will restore widows and orphans physically and mentally.
- Pray for pastors in "red zones" that have been retaken by rebel groups.