Get a FREE copy of VOM’s Global Prayer Guide with any giftGive Now
Boko Haram raids on Christian-majority villages along the northwestern border with Nigeria have specifically targeted churches and Christian activity. In a typical attack, Christians are killed or displaced, churches are burned and homes are destroyed. Several Christian villages have been abandoned completely after recurring attacks, which have included killings, kidnappings, and the burning of houses, schools and churches.
Cameroon is a majority-Christian country, including 52 percent Christians and 24 percent Muslims.
The main persecutor is the Boko Haram Islamist terrorist group.
What It Means To Follow Christ In Cameroon:
Most of Cameroon has a thriving Christian presence and many churches. But Christians living along the Nigerian border have experienced repeated, brutal attacks by Boko Haram. In these villages 50 to 80 miles from the border, men, women and children are attacked simply for being known as Christians.
Access To Bibles:
Bibles are generally available, but distributing them in the north is challenging because of security issues. Many people cannot afford a Bible and would prefer the Scriptures in a local language rather than French or English. Bible translation ministries have done significant work translating the Bible into local languages, such as the local Fulani dialect, in both Roman and Arabic script. Give Bibles
VOM is providing relief and trauma-healing workshops for displaced Christians in northern Cameroon who have fled their villages due to attacks by Boko Haram. VOM also supports pastors and evangelists who are ministering in areas targeted by Boko Haram. Give to VOM’s Global Ministry
- Pray that Christians in Cameroon will love one another so Christ will be glorified.
- Pray for Christians rebuilding their livelihood after Boko Haram attacks.
- Pray for Christians among the Hdi tribe whose villages in the north are routinely attacked.
- Pray that church leaders will lead God's people biblically in love and wisdom.
- Pray for Christians who have been displaced by Boko Haram attacks in northern Cameroon.
- Pray that Christians under attack will not become bitter but will pray for their persecutors.