Get a FREE Copy of VOM’s Global Prayer GuideRequest Yours Now
Specific areas within southern Mexico have a high concentration of indigenous minority groups. These minority communities, which maintain a separate identity and language, are systematically oppressed by local authorities. Christians among them are persecuted by Marxist and animist groups as well as village leaders. These communities are remotely located and difficult to reach. Despite persecution, the number of Christians has continued to grow in these areas.
Most people in southern Mexico practice Christo-paganism, a syncretistic blend of ancient pagan practices and Roman Catholicism. There is a strong Marxist (atheistic communist) movement in some areas, especially in the state of Chiapas. In difficult areas within southern Mexico, evangelical Christians make up about 3 percent of the population.
Both syncretistic Christo-pagan village leaders and armed Marxist (atheistic communist) rebels persecute Christians.
What It Means To Follow Christ In Southern Mexico:
Christian converts are rejected by their community and are often forced from their homes and villages. Large groups of Christians have at times been driven from their homes. Converts and faithful witnesses for Christ lose their jobs, inheritances and land. Those who remain in their communities are marginalized, partly because they will not participate in pagan celebrations that feature drunkenness and debauchery.
Access To Bibles:
There is little access to Bibles in these isolated communities, and even fewer are available in the indigenous languages. Give Bibles
VOM distributes Bibles in both Spanish and indigenous languages, provides support for those driven from their homes and communities, and responds to persecution incidents in a variety of other ways. Give to VOM’s Global Ministry
- Pray that every believer among the Tzotzil people will receive his or her own copy of God's Word.
- Pray for teachers reaching out to children from minority ethnic groups.
- Pray for pastors who have been displaced and are now sharing the gospel in new communities.
- Pray for VOM's work responding to persecution faced by the Chol people in Chiapas.
- Pray that believers who have been kicked out of their communities will remain strong in faith.
- Pray for Bible distributions to persecuted Christians among the Tzeltal people in Chiapas.