Get a FREE Copy of VOM’s Global Prayer GuideRequest Yours Now
Brunei is a Muslim-majority nation under the rule of a dynastic sultan and Islamic Sharia law. There are about 20 churches in Brunei and few opportunities for Bruneians to hear the gospel. While oil wealth has ensured that few people lack in material needs, spiritual needs are great. Despite the risks, a few bold evangelists and missionaries continue to bring the light of the gospel to this dark land.
Almost 80 percent of Bruneians are Sunni Muslims, and nearly all of the 9 percent who are Christians are ethnically Chinese.
The government is the main persecutor of Christians.
What It Means To Follow Christ In Brunei:
While some historic churches exist in Brunei, no new church buildings are allowed. In 2015, all Christmas displays were banned. Churches are often afraid to reach out to Muslims because they are monitored closely by the religious police. Even inviting a Muslim to a Christmas celebration would be problematic. The penalty for evangelizing Muslims is a $15,000 fine, up to five years in prison or both. Nevertheless, several secret believers have been baptized.
Access To Bibles:
Bibles in Malay, the country's official language, are illegal and are confiscated if discovered. No bookstores in Brunei sell Bibles. Give Bibles
VOM supports the work of evangelists throughout the country. Give to VOM’s Global Ministry
- Pray that seekers and new believers will be protected from persecutors among the country's leaders.
- Pray that more Brunei Muslims will think critically about what they believe.
- Pray that more leaders in the country will hear the truth and want to know Jesus.
- Pray that Muslims will learn the truth about God and Jesus Christ.
- Pray that secret believers will wisely witness for Christ to their friends and family.